Thursday, May 24, 2007

Pheromones

Since the world is one in which values sometimes conflict, it is occasionally difficult to maintain a strict and absolute commitment to any given ethical position.

Maybe a little white lie or perhaps a lie by omission is not to be avoided, if instead the pure truth would cause bad feelings among people that have your respect. Or sometimes it might just seem best to let a petty annoyance slide on by rather than call a person on it.

There are probably times when two wrongs do make a right. I can't think of any, though. It's been a long day. I'm tired.

But I must ask something that's been on my mind lately, a question concerning honesty:

How do you lie to yourself?

Not that I have any pressing need to know. It just seems like an interesting question. And a lot of people appear to be able to do this effortlessly. How do they manage it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe as Monica said the other day, "I broke the law, but I didn't mean to." (I'm a nice person and I mean well, so bad things I do are inadvertent as I try to do the right thing and so they shouldn't count.)