Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Athier marshmallows

When school got out at 3:30 p.m. I'd be there. On Tuesdays and Fridays mostly; my usual weekdays off.

A stop at Haagen-Dazs for cones and coffees would eventually lead us to the fountain for people-watching and the usual hanging out; then a trip to the bookstore.

I noticed this one thing at the bookstore: they had a section of some of the latest best-sellers by Dennett, Dawkins, Harris, and now Hitchens, and there was a little sign over the display that said "Atheism."

Wow. They have their own section now. That's something else.

Maybe I'm not "an atheist." But surely I am "athier" than most people. I do not like defining myself in terms of negation. "Material positivist" might be suitable, but likely to never have its own book display.

So it is interesting that there are multiple best-selling books concerning atheism out there now. But what is even more interesting to me is just how many religious folk in the media express their own feelings of being threatened by the belief, or rather non-belief, systems of those who are, after all, merely other people.

Some people roasting marshmallows on a stick over an open wood fire actually allow the sweet to burn and carmelize just a little before using their breath to exinguish the flame.

Are not those marshmallows the best?

No comments: