Sunday, December 09, 2007

Plath, Sheep, Fog, Devonshire


Sheep in Fog

The hills step off into whiteness.
People or stars
Regard me sadly, I disappoint them.

The train leaves a line of breath.
O slow
Horse the colour of rust,

Hooves, dolorous bells -
All morning the
Morning has been blackening,

A flower left out.
My bones hold a stillness, the far
Fields melt my heart.

They threaten
To let me through to a heaven
Starless and fatherless, a dark water.

Sylvia Plath


These are the hills that Plath travelled when she was taking her riding lessons. She rode a lazy old horse named "Ariel." Slow and methodic, hesitant to even trot. But mindful of a nice view.



She would mount Ariel and ride sluggishly I am sure, given that horse's age and temperment, up the hill to possibly obtain the summit of the tor. Or maybe not. Tired old steed!

The tor is a metaphor. Back in her day, it would not have been assumed that a woman of even Plath's monumental talent could achieve success.

The sheep are probably very much like those that inspired the poem. They were photographed in Devon where Plath once lived.

No comments: