Saturday, September 15, 2007

Why I Chose Nursing and a Certain Kind of Apple

Nobody talks about "Muslim beauty" as if it were somehow different from Catholic, Baptist, or some other religiously-based concept of truth and loveliness in architecture, music, or art. Or in human behavior, really.

Beauty is non-sectarian. A Renoir is a wonder to behold despite one's religious affiliation. So is oud music. So are granite counter-tops. So is helping one another.



The same "goodness" that underlies beauty in aesthetics also underlies beauty in ethics. This is despite rather than because of sectarian differences. Ethical ideals and aesthetic ideals transcend and undermine ideological divides. Beauty is beauty. Truth is truth. No matter the medium in which it is made apparent.

That is why I am both a classically-trained musician and a nurse. I am beholden to that which is good in both the spheres of human behavior towards others and human behavior towards manipulating artistic materials.

Good is good. Period. No matter what.

Ethical beauy, aesthetic beauty, and even mathematical and scientific beauty (which is simply truth,) is all the same thing really.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

That's why I am a nurse.

That's why I'm writing this on an old PowerBook G4.

Heheheh.

1 comment:

enigma4ever said...

good for you Nurse....me2...we need more in the world...