Friday, October 31, 2008

Arizona Early Voting, Part Deux

My spouse went to vote early today, Friday, at the same place I waited for an hour-and-a-half yesterday. They waited seven hours.

Everybody who was in line at the time the community center closed at 5 p.m. was promised they would be able to vote. It's probably still happening. My spouse (who was interviewed on-camera by local television,) said they were told it would stay open until about 11 p.m.



I wanted Spawn Of shrimplate to see this, so we drove over mid-afternoon. The parking lot was overflowing. The line of people started at the left front of the building, snaked around the back, then entered. We carried a pumpkin-spice latte and a scone to my ever-patient spouse, passing hundreds of people to get to them.

If there were any Republicans among the throng, they weren't talking. And everybody was talking.

6 comments:

Eli Blake said...

To be honest, I wish that the Obama campaign had targetted Arizona early on.

It will be competitive, but if they'd gone at it early on I think by now it would be more like where Colorado is-- increasingly out of reach-- for McCain.

Awake In Rochester said...

Wow! I've seen that on T.V., but I never had heard anyone talk (ah blog) about it. I don't think that N.Y. has early voting.

I'm lucky, there is voting here for the apartments, so no waiting.

dbackdad said...

Very good. My spouse voted a couple of days ago at Peoria City Hall. I think she said there was not a significant wait.

It really seems like a lot of voters (including first timers) want to make sure their votes are counted.

wstachour said...

Our early voting lines have remained manageable. Susan voted a couple days ago, and waited for less than an hour. So my walk-right-in experience was aberrant, but not ridiculously so for our part of WI.

Seven hours is... a commitment!

Anonymous said...

Seven hours is heroism, Shrimplate. I hope they at least let people take snack and bathroom breaks. And I hope the Dems make sure this never happens again (but am not holding my breath).

Here's hoping that Shadegg falls to the Mighty Markos Machine.

--Charles of MercuryRising
www.phoenixwoman.wordpress.com

Amy said...

I never thought I'd be moved to say it, but Democracy is a beautiful thing.